Bookmark this page. You can visit it everyday to know about the important events of the day.
Important events of history that took place in India and elsewhere on today’s date.
- 🇮🇳 In India
- 0078 Beginning of Saka calendar which is used, alongside the Gregorian calendar, by The Gazette of India, in news broadcasts by All India Radio and in calendars and communications issued by the Government of India.
- 1575 The Battle of Tukaroi, also known as the Battle of Bajhaura or the Battle of Mughulmari, was fought between Mughal Emperor Akbar and Sultan of Bengal Daud Khan Karrani. It resulted in a Mughal victory and greatly weakened the Bengal Sultanate.
- 1707 Aurangzeb, Mughal emperor who ruled over almost the entire Indian subcontinent for a period of 49 years, died at Bhingar, Ahmednagar.
- 1839 Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata, pioneer industrialist, who founded the Tata Group, India's biggest conglomerate company, was born. He established the city of Jamshedpur. He founded what would later become the Tata Group of companies. Jamshedji Tata is regarded as the legendary "Father of Indian Industry".
- 1919 Hari Narayan Apte, Marathi writer, died at Pune. Through his writings, he provided an eminent example to future Marathi fiction writers in respect of writing effective novels and short stories which faithfully reflect different aspects of contemporary society.
- 1939 Gandhiji commences "fast unto death" at Rajkot to protest state's autocratic rule at Bombay and to secure ruler's adherence of promise given towards reform administration, and ends it on March 7 on Viceroy's intervention.
- 1982 Firaq Gorakhpuri, writer, critic, and one of the most noted contemporary Urdu poets from India, died at New Delhi.
- 🌎 Elsewhere
- 1847 Alexander Graham Bell, Scottish-born inventor, scientist, and engineer who is credited with patenting the first practical telephone, was born. He also co-founded the American Telephone and Telegraph Company in 1885.
- 1865 The Treaty of Paris is signed, ending the Crimean War. Russia lost the war to a coalition of the Ottoman Empire, France, Britain, and Sardinia.
- 1887 Anne Sullivan begins teaching 6 year old blind-deaf Helen Keller.
- 1938 Oil is discovered in Saudi Arabia.
- 1983 Hergé (Georges Prosper Remi), Belgian cartoonist, died. He is best known for creating The Adventures of Tintin, the series of comic albums which are considered one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century.
- 2005 Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly an airplane non-stop around the world solo without refueling.
Select another date and know its important events: